Christopher Parrington focuses on cannabis matters, securities and commercial litigation.
Mr. Parrington represents cannabis companies in respect of deals, regulatory work, and litigation. He has represented cannabis clients located in many of the states that have passed legislation legalizing cannabis (whether at the medical or recreational level). Mr. Parrington has the knowledge, understanding, and experience necessary to advise clients through the myriad challenges of navigating state laws and local government rules and regulations relating to cannabis. He has also represented clients attempting to navigate through the regulatory landscape that resulted from the federal government’s legalization of hemp under the 2018 Farm Bill including continuing hemp operations under the 2014 Farm Bill, creation of compliance policies and procedures under the 2018 Farm Bill, and issues related to the interstate transportation of hemp.
In his securities litigation practice, Mr. Parrington represents broker / dealers, investment advisory firms, fund managers, investment advisors and other financial institutions in a variety of matters including FINRA arbitrations, state securities fraud claims, and regulatory investigations and enforcement actions. Mr. Parrington has defended numerous investigations and enforcement actions with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and arbitrated many cases before FINRA including customer and industry disputes initiated by or against his clients. Mr. Parrington’s securities practice has resulted in him handling cases throughout the United States and has caused him to enjoy an outstanding reputation as a leader in defending against securities fraud allegations.
In his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Parrington represents businesses and business owners in a variety of matters including contract disputes, shareholder disputes, non-compete and non-solicitation agreement disputes, confidentiality and trademark disputes, and general business disputes. Mr. Parrington has tried and arbitrated more than 25 cases across the country to verdict or final award and argued commercial litigation cases before the courts in various states. Mr. Parrington has argued appellate cases that resulted in landmark decisions in areas including contract interpretation, share valuation, loan modifications and non-compete agreements.
Mr. Parrington has taught a cannabis-law course at Doane University in Nebraska. He is also a frequent contributor to Minnesota Attorney at Law Magazine on topics related to Minnesota’s medical cannabis industry, and has written numerous other articles and made numerous presentations on hemp and cannabis-related topics.
- Non-Compete Dispute. JAB, Inc. v. Naegle, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Non-Compete Agreement Dispute. Schmit Towing, Inc. v. Chris Frovik, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Insurance Coverage Dispute. QBE Insurance Corp. v. Twin Homes of French Ridge Homeowners Association, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Contract Dispute. Hendel Construction, LLC v. Security State Bank of Howard Lake, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Securities Fraud Allegations. Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Eisenmenger IRA, et al. v. Joseph A. Cole, et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Securities Fraud Allegations. Andrew Bloomquist v. Wisdom Development Group, Inc., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Fraud Allegations. Esera Tuaolo v. Want Some Weather, Inc., et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Non-Compete Agreement Dispute. Tenant Construction, Inc. v. Scott H. Mason, Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Non-Compete Agreement Dispute. Salon 2000, Inc. v. Chandra Lynn Dauwalter, et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Contract Dispute. Ran Mart Stucco, Texture & Drywall, Inc. v. Danna Homes, Inc., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Real Estate Dispute. Richard T. Ketterling v. Carolyn Hamilton, et al., Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Securities Fraud Allegation. Edwin L. Sisam, et al. v. Workman Securities Corporation, FINRA Case.
- Contract Dispute. Katherine Williams v. Daniel Rickett.
Honors & Professional Affiliations
- Top 200 Cannabis Lawyers, Cannabis Law Report and Cannabis Law Journal (2021)
- Profiled in Law.com’s Higher Law Q&A (2020)
- 250 Cannabis Law Experts, Databird Research Journal (2018)
- Advisory Board Member, DRIVE Emerging Leaders, Minneapolis Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Committee Member, National Society of Compliance Professionals (NSCP), Minnesota Defense Lawyers Association
- Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Stars® 2007, 2009-2011, 2013-2014, 2016-2018
- Who’s Who in Business Litigation, Minnesota Law & Politics and Twin Cities Business magazines, 2011
Presentations & Publications
- Author, Evolution vs. Regulation: A Look at Delta-8 THC, Marijuana Venture, 2021.
- Presenter, Is Cannabis an Essential Investment Option for your Clients? Independent Broker Dealer Consortium, 2021.
- Presenter, Regulating Marijuana: Approaches by Individual States. Minnesota CLE, 2021.
- Presenter, The Cannabis Report: What Every Lawyer Should Know about Marijuana, Hemp, CBD, and Vaping. The Cannabis Report, Minnesota CLE, 2021.
- Presenter, Course: Cannabis 101. Doane University, 2021.
- Presenter, Cannabis and Hemp Business Law Issues for the Non-Expert. Business Law Institute, 2020.
- Presenter, A Selective Overview of Cannabis Issues for Banking Lawyers. Bank of the West, 2019.
- Presenter, Commission Payment Disputes Before and After Termination: Payability, Calculation and Timing. Strafford CLE, 2019.
- Presenter, Banking the Cannabis Industry: Legal and Ethical Issues. Nebraska Bankers Association, 2018.
- Author, Imagine the Responsibilities – Considerations for Engaging Independent Third-Parties to Assist with EB-5 Investment Deployment and Securities Law Compliance. NES Financial EB-5 Insider, 2017.
- Author, How Secure is the Securities Industry? National Society of Compliance Professionals, Currents, 2016.
- Author, Securities and Marijuana: A Broker / Dealer’s Guide to Navigating through the Rules and Regulations Related to the Cannabis Industry. National Society of Compliance Professionals, Currents, 2016.
- Presenter, How to Prevent Your Dispute from Turning from an Ant Hill into a Mountain. Independent Broker Dealer Conference, 2016.
- Presenter, A Navigational Guide to Investigating Financial Crimes in State-Legal Cannabis Market. International Association of Financial Crimes Investigator’s Midwest Annual Conference, 2016.
- Presenter, Anti-Money Laundering: Issues Every Broker / Dealer and Investment Advisor Should Know. National Society of Compliance Professionals, 2015.
Zuber Lawler is one of many member law firms of the Zuber Lawler Global International Network. Each law firm in the network is an independent law firm. Engagement of one law firm in the network does not create any attorney-client relationship with or any liability on the part of any other law firm in the network.